HISTORY OF BÖNAN COAST
The hotel was built in 1897 with cold bath houses built shortly thereafter, as well as a dance floor close to the hotel, designed by the city architect SH Wranér. The hotel building was destroyed in 1946.
Already in 1892 Böna cafe and catering were introduced. Today we run the cafe in a new building, where the hotel was previously located. A pension and a café was also available at Lerviks mansion in the 1920s and 1930s.
Strandgården was for many years the summer residence of the merchant Ernst Leonard Schüllerqvist and his family. The estate then became summer guesthouse in the early 1930s. Strandgården was a popular destination for for people from Gävle, and also hosted many wedding receptions and other events over the years. Smorgasbord and shrimp nights arranged by the later owners Minda and Rune Gustavsson arranged were very popular. The operations ceased in 2005.
During this period, Bönan also had a store, school and post office. Utvalnäs also had a store, not far from the Utvalnäs steamboat pier and fish chapel. Today Böna cafe, Böna lighthouse museum and a design shop are the only things left.